These plants will provide your garden with great interest during the Autumn months. We've carefully selected a few of our favourite plants for Autumn interest, but if you wish to see our full range, then please visit your local branch of Thompson's. We also offer a 3-year hardy plant guarantee, so you can buy your plants with confidence.
Discover the Beauty of Autumn: Top 5 Plants for Your Garden
As the vibrant hues of summer give way to the warm and earthy tones of autumn, it's time to transform your garden into a breathtaking seasonal spectacle. At Thompson's Plant Centre, we're excited to guide you through the top 5 autumn plants that will bring the magic of fall to your outdoor haven.
- Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum): With its delicate foliage turning fiery red, orange, or gold in autumn, the Japanese Maple is a must-have for an autumn garden. Plant it in a well-drained, sheltered spot for a mesmerizing display.
- Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum spp.): Known as the "Queen of Autumn," Chrysanthemums offer a kaleidoscope of colours and come in various shapes and sizes. They're easy to care for and thrive in pots or beds.
- Sedum (Sedum spp.): Sedums are resilient succulents that burst into deep, rosy blooms in the autumn months. These low-maintenance plants are perfect for adding texture and colour to your garden.
- Heather (Calluna vulgaris): Heather provides a carpet of pink, purple, or white flowers that beautifully contrasts with the changing leaves. It's excellent for ground cover and adds a touch of wilderness to your garden.
- Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale): These enchanting flowers surprise us with their delicate blooms just as summer ends. Plant them in well-drained soil, and they'll thrive year after year.
When to Plant Autumn Plants
For a stunning autumn garden, plan ahead. Late summer or early autumn is the perfect time to plant these autumn beauties. The soil is still warm, and the moisture levels are generally ideal for root development. This gives your plants a strong foundation to flourish when the cooler temperatures arrive.
Remember, the earlier you plant, the more time your autumn plants have to establish themselves and provide you with a longer-lasting display.
How Long Do Autumn Plants Give You Pleasure?
The pleasure of autumn plants can extend well into late autumn and even early winter, depending on your region's climate.
Japanese Maples and Chrysanthemums, for example, can continue to grace your garden with their vivid colours until the first frosts. Heather and Sedum can provide interest through the winter months with their evergreen foliage.
Plants for All Seasons
Here at Thompson's, we have garden plants to suit all seasons in your garden. If you're looking for a shrub with Spring Colour or a perennial that flowers throughout Summer, then browse our online collection to see our highly recommended plants. Can't find what you're looking for? Our webshop is only a small selection of the plants we sell, come and visit us at your local branch of Thompson's for our full range.
Need Help With Your Planting?
Whether you're planting your Aucuba japonica Rozannie, Photinia x fraseri Red Robin or Viburnum tinus Eve Price, by following a few simple steps, you'll be giving your plants the best possible start to life in your garden.
Dig the hole a little deeper than the size of the container and twice as wide.
Loosen the soil in the hole so that it is crumbly.
Mix a small amount of good-quality multipurpose compost into the hole.
Remove the plant from the pot and gently tease out a few of the roots.
Place your plant in the hole making sure you don't bury the stem.
Refill the hole with a mixture of soil and multipurpose compost.
Firm the soil around the plant, making sure you don't press down on the root ball.
Water well, and keep well watered in the first season whilst it establishes itself.
If you need any other assistance with your garden plants, then please get in touch. Our experts are always on hand to answer your questions. Mail us at [email protected].