Looking for freshly-cut Christmas Trees? At Thompson's, we aim to supply all of our Christmas trees from our very own nursery on the Isle of Wight. We can ensure that we only sell good quality, freshly cut Christmas trees to our customers by growing our trees. Are you looking for a locally-grown tree that's top quality for a sharp price? Please visit Thompson's Christmas Tree webshop.
Cut trees are available from November 19th at all our garden centres.
Containerised trees are available from November 6th at all our locations.
How to choose the perfect Christmas tree?
To help you decide what tree to buy this year, here's our range of trees and sizes:
1. Nordmann Fir Christmas Tree
Nordmann Firs are the most popular trees to use as a Christmas tree in the UK. We offer various sizes from 3ft up to 12ft. Here's why you should buy a Nordmann Fir at Thompson's:
- It has excellent needle retention after it's been cut.
- It also forms a shapely tree that is not too bushy.
- It has aromatic dark green foliage.
- The needles are round and don't sting.
- It has more open growth than other trees.
2. Norway Spruce
This is the original, traditional Christmas tree. One of the most popular varieties is the Norway Spruce Christmas tree. This traditional tree is found in many homes at Christmas. Sizes ranging from 3ft to 12ft. Here's why you should buy a Norway Spruce:
- Famous for its wonderful pine scent: it smells fresh with a hint of citrus.
- The needles tend to be more spikey than Nordmann Firs'.
- Although it's not needle fast, it will have minimal needle loss if kept well-watered and away from direct heat sources.
- It's an ideal tree for indoor displays with the classical Christmas tree shape.
- Relatively cheaper than Nordmann Firs.
- Although the Norway Spruce is now known for its excellent needle retention, many fans believe the delicious pine scent is totally worth the extra clean-up.
3. Blue Spruce
A customer's favourite because of the bright blue colour. This tree has a beautiful blue hue which gives your home an icy look. This tree is only available as a containerised tree 3-4ft in size. Here's why a Blue Spruce is the best choice as a Christmas tree:
- It has minimal needle drop if watered well and is kept away from direct heat sources.
- Stiff branches that hold ornaments well.
- Sharp needles, so beware with little kids and pets.
4. Serbian Spruce (Picea omorika)
A long term favourite in central Europe. It is a slightly narrower evergreen than the Norway Spruce so that it will fit into smaller spaces in your living room. This beautiful compact tree is only available as a containerised tree 3-4ft in size. Find out everything about the Serbian Spruce:
- The graceful shape with arching, sweeping branches form a slender, conical tree.
- Its orange-red coloured bark looks spectacular in combination with the shiny dark green needles.
- Average needle retention.
How to look after a real Christmas tree
If you've bought a Christmas tree, you want to keep it fresh for as long as possible. Most Christmas trees last 3-4 weeks indoors. Here are a few tips for maintaining the beautiful Christmas tree:
- Keep the tree in a sheltered outdoor place or cool conditions until required for decorating. This helps the tree acclimatise.
- Saw 1 inch off the stump when you're planning to start decorating. This makes the trunk absorb water better.
- Keep your tree well-watered by refilling the water base daily. Place your cut tree in a sturdy stand that holds at least one gallon of water.
- Avoid placing your Christmas tree next to a heat source. Lowering the room's temperature can help slow down the drying process and needle loss.
- Stay away from too heavy ornaments. Some branches can arch by holding on to giant decorations and baubles. If you want to hang large ornaments in the tree, hang them close to the trunk, where the branches are most viable.
Buy Christmas trees at Thompson's Garden Centre
Thompson's has been your favourite Christmas Tree supplier in the London area. From November 19th, we sell various Christmas trees of top quality. You can either choose cut Christmas trees or potted Christmas trees. We have several sizes available, varying from 3ft to 12ft and even more significant if needed. Please get in touch with us if you're interested in a larger tree than 12ft. You can visit our garden centre or purchase your Christmas tree online. You can already pre-order a Christmas tree and collect it from 4 different locations from November 19th.